When it comes to planning meals for small or large gatherings, I keep two things in mind: dietary restrictions and highlighting the beauty of each season. This radicchio salad with lentils and roasted acorn squash is definitely a dish of beauty. The best part? The squash roasts long enough so the skin is tender and there’s no peeling involved. Or if eating the shell isn’t appealing, quarter the squash and use them as serving bowls instead- just as beautiful!
Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Menu
I love using holiday meals as a way to explore new recipes and ideas. This recipe is part of a three-recipe series focused on an easy, gluten-free Thanksgiving meal. The richness of the rutabaga gratin and the lightness of the salad bring balance to the overall meal. The full meal includes:
Slow Cooker Rutabaga Gratin with Millet
Pear Salad with Gorgonzola
Radicchio Salad with Lentils and Squash
Wine Pairing: Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc + Viognier 2014 for the overall meal. With the roasted acorn squash, bitter radicchio brings out the light sweetness of this lovely white wine. Excellent on it’s own, paired with this roasted squash and lentil dish, it makes me want to keep eating and drinking.
Radicchio Salad with Lentils and Roasted Acorn Squash
Author: Erin Alderson
Serves: 3 to 4 servings
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups radicchio, ribboned
- 1 cup puy lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 2 teaspoons honey (or brown rice syrup)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, and cut squash into wedges. Place on a parchment lined roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss until evenly coated. Roast squash for 15 to 20 minutes, flip squash and roast another 15 to 20 minutes until slightly brown.
- In a small pot, bring lentils, water, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Let cook 25 to 35 minutes, until lentils are soft but still hold their shape. Drain any excess water if necessary.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine radicchio and cooked lentils. Pour dressing into bowl and toss to combine.
- Transfer squash to a large serving platter. Top with radicchio and lentil mixture. Serve warm.
Serve the radicchio salad as a main dish instead of as a side! Quarter the squash and roast a bit longer until tender.
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: lentils, olive oil, apple cider vinegar
The variations are fairly endless with this radicchio. You can swap out the squash, the greens, and the legumes making this a completely different meal. A couple of my other favorite combinations: kuri squash with white beans and spinach or delicata squash with lentils and kale.
SQUASH: Don’t have acorn squash on hand? You could swap it for butternut or delicata squash.
LEGUMES: Can’t find puy lentils? Green or black lentils can be substituted. Or try this dish with chickpeas or black beans.
GREENS: Radicchio can sometimes have a more bitter profile. Red cabbage would be an excellent variation, keeping the color and the crunch in this dish!