At our house, fruit is always in high demand. In fact, it’s our go-to snack. For instance, on any given day, Mack eats his weight in fruit. Well, maybe not, but it feels that way. As a result, it’s rare that I make a recipe with fruit. That’s because it just never lasts long enough. Recently, however, we’ve had a few plums that were slow to ripen. By the time they were ready, I had dreamt of this plum salad. For one thing, kamut has a wonderful, slightly sweet wheat flavor. Then, it’s paired with spicy arugula and smooth goat cheese for a home run recipe!
Kamut and Plum Salad
Author: Erin Alderson
Serves: 2 large servings
- 4 cups arugula, loosely packed
- 3 to 4 just-ripe plums
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kamut
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (see note)
- Wash and lightly dry arugula. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Slice plums in half and remove pit. With flat side of fruit on the cutting board, cut into thin, half moon slices. Add to the arugula in the bowl. Add cooked kamut and crumbled goat cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Whisk together vigorously. Pour over the salad and toss until everything is well coated.
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: kamut, champagne vinegar, chili paste,
Step by Step
I love powerful flavor combinations in simple recipes. In this case, the salad has only a few ingredients that play off each other well. In addition to the suggestions below, you can easily mix up the greens. Arugula packs a punch. But spinach would still make a great salad!
Fruit: This salad would be excellent with any other stone fruit. For example, try it with peaches, apricots, or a mix!
Grains: Any grain can work in this salad. Don’t have kamut? Use quinoa or bulgur instead!
Vegan: Make this salad vegan and leave out the goat cheese. In order to keep the creamy texture of the goat cheese, use avocado. In contrast, add cashews for a nice crunch!